Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

A day late. But, well wishes just the same.

Reflecting on this holiday and putting things in to perspective, I'm thankful to be living in America. We take for granted just how good we have it.

I'm thankful to have a job I enjoy.

I'm thankful for my wife. We share many of the same values. She's been there for me. She makes me laugh.

I'm thankful for my daughter. She truly completes me.

Despite some nagging arthritis, I'm in good health. As is the rest of my family.

I'm thankful that my mom has the strength to live on in spite of losing a husband and son in the same year. She sees her grand daughter as a source of inspiration.

I'm extremely thankful for my sister. She took in and took care of my mentally retarded brother, Billy. About 10 years worth of daily challenge, work, and sacrifice. She took care of our dad's arrangements when he died, as well as Billy's. She been there for my mom.

I'm thankful for my sister-in-law and family. We truly look after each other in many ways.

I'm thankful for my mother-in-law. She's been a good granny, and has helped us out from time to time.

As I ate dinner last night, I couldn't help but think about the future 20, 30 years from now. The babies and toddlers of today will be adults. With any luck, I'll be around to enjoy their company. It will be interesting to see what old traditions are kept and what new one are made. It occurred to me that I should do everything I can so that one day someone can be thankful for the role I played in the family.

It's not about ego or legacy. It's about the importance of family and friends.

So, while giving thanks, do what you can to earn thanks.

No comments: