Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I gotta call TimeWarner

In spite of the fact that I don't speak much Spanish, Telemundo has its attraction . . . if you know what I mean. Well, forget that, I need to tune in to Italian TV somehow.

ROME (Reuters) - When it comes to political satire, Italians like theirs hot -- with buxom women in mini-skirts and low-cut tops dancing as cameras zoom in on their breasts and long legs.

So much so that the auditions for two showgirls -- known as "veline" -- to spice up the country's top satirical show are a summer-long television event in their own right, broadcast daily as prime-time family entertainment with top ratings.

More than 5,000 women in Italy applied for the two slots up for grabs -- one reserved for a blonde, the other a brunette -- with raucous auditions held in packed town squares across the country before throngs of beaming parents and onlookers.


Forget The Big Ten network. I want this!

Its portrayal of women aside, for critics the showgirl format is more worrying for what it says about Italian television. Program-makers say they are satirizing TV journalism, and some defend showgirls over violent shows.


I'll take this over any cop show. There is way too much violence on TV.

I just decided that now.

I wonder if there's a franchise?

No comments: