Sunday, July 13, 2008

Packers will not release Favre

Ted Thompson hasn't ruled out the possibility of Brett Favre playing for the Green Bay Packers this season, but in what he described as a messy situation the general manager remained loyal to Aaron Rodgers as the team's starting quarterback.


The rest of the article is here.

Opinions are all over the place today. The Favre supporters believe Brett is the best chance the Packers have at going to the Superbowl. The MoveOn (so to speak) crowd are likely not big Favre fans to begin with, and are sick of the yearly waffling.

While I stated I'm in the "move on" camp, I could go either way. Brett is certainly one of a kind. He had a great year last season, and we were one game away from the Superbowl.

But, everything is speculation.

Last season the Packer defense came alive . . . and it was a relatively conservative defense. The Packers also found a running game. Something they've struggled with. And, they've been flush with above average receivers. The offensive line also gave him great protection.

All of this helped take the pressure off of Favre. I think McCarthy has done an excellent job reeling in Favre. Similar to the way Holmgren did and Sherman was unable to do.

We should remember just how badly Brett can look. While I'm willing to give Brett his due, some of his success is from pure tenacity. He's an excellent field general. He can throw the ball 50 yards on a rope. But, he's not what I'd call the most accurate quarterback out there.

Speculation.

Yes, Aaron is untested. He scares me. It looks as though he's got the skills, the arm, the mobility, and the smarts. But, can he last the season?

What if . . .

They bring Brett back, Rodgers leaves, and Brett goes down the first game of the season?

Rodgers takes the team to a Superbowl victory?

Either could happen.

Here's the thing . . . if they let Favre return, he'd better f*ckin' play and trump last season. Anything less, and for me it's a big mistake. Better than last season. Fine if they go 12 and 4. But, he better take them to the Superbowl. All of everyone's talk of "he's the best chance we've got" . . . f*ck chance. We'd better go to the Superbowl if we bring him back. Particularly since there's a good chance we'd lose Rodgers.

Also, be the team player. Brett is real good at the "me" stuff. Shut up about the meetings, practices, and the preparation. Play. And play good. If he does, I'll be the biggest, happiest Brett Favre fan out there. I hate to sound like a "fair weather" fan . . . and I'm not. At least as far as the Packers are concerned. Brett DID have a great season last year. I'd hate to see him come back only to disappoint.

As I've said, I don't think anyone is above the team. Not TO, not Brady, not Moss, and not Favre. I think the Packers have accomodated Brett plenty. It's clearly not about the money. If he thinks he's still got it and wants to play . . . fine.

Put your arm where your mouth is.

No comments: