Sunday, June 01, 2008

August Rush

I won't do many movie reviews. One, there aren't a lot of good movies out there. Particularly in the main stream. Two, I'm not a reviewer as much as I'm a teller abouter.

Anyway, my wife and I often look at movies that haven't garnered a lot of attention. Don't misunderstand, Transformers has its place . . . and I enjoy most genres of movie THough, you couldn't pay me to watch Sex and the City . . . and it going to take a bit to watch anything from Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler. But, I digress.

August Rush is one of those pleasant surprises that come along every once in a while. If you like music, and I know some of you do, you owe it to yourself to watch this movie. The movie is about a chance encounter between two different musicians. She's a little bit classical, he's a little bit rock and roll. As they're both socially inept artist types, they're single. They meet at a party, away from the crowd, and . . . uh, . . . connect. 11 years later and the DNA sequenced generate has a thing for music. A big thing for music. Meanwhile, life catches up with our eccentrics and the generate remains unheard of. A search ensues. Along the way there are some great musical performances. The movie stars Johathan Rhys Meyers, who did all of his own singing, Keri Russell, who doesn't play her cello parts, and Freddie Highmore, the kid in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Terrance Howard also stars as does a creepy Robin Williams. The score entwines both classical and rock music and features some incredible guitar work. One of the movie's more memorable moments is a guitar duel. One of the performers is a guitarist who site I came across some time ago. The song was very much in the style of his writing and I thought it might be him. I was right. Check out his website and music here: DougSmithGuitar.

The movie is fantasy and sucks you in. The score is unbelievable. Moving. Watch it. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: