Friday, April 18, 2008

Why I'm such a dork

I've admitted to watching Days of Our Lives like an idiot. Here's why . . .

Many years ago, my wife used to watch it. She'd tape it and watch it after work. At the time I thought it rather goofy. But it was difficult to ignore it in our small apartment at the time. One day it happened . . . "What happened to Tony?" I asked one day. Things move at a snails pace on Soaps so I started watching the Monday episodes. This was during the time when Tony's evil twin Andre was around . . . remember those days? Eugene and Calliope?

Anyway, I got hooked. We watched it for a good many years. Bo and Hope, Steve and Kayla, . . . up to about the time John Black came onto the scene. We got spotty after that. John Black was actually Roman, but became John Black again when the real Roman came back. Many of the regulars had left and we stopped watching.

Fast forward 20 years . . . yes, 20 years! I break my ankle and I'm in my hospital bed watching TV. It's noon so I decide to turn on Days. Just for giggles. I tune in to see Patch (Steve) working as a nurse taking care of Jack Devereaux, his brother. Jack has some illness and he's due to die soon. Patch doesn't know he's Steve as his memory has been erased by . . . who do you think? Stefano. Turns out the characters had recently returned after a 20 year hiatus! Of course, both were presumed dead. Kayla had gone on with her life and Jennifer was about to marry Frankie!

Bo and Hope had already returned. Now Steve, Kayla, Jack, Jennifer, and Stefano were all reappearing. Recently Tony and Anna came back. Ton had another evil twin. Only this time it was a cousin who had been surgically altered to look like Tony. I swear, Tony has spent more character time locked in a dungeon or stranded on an island more than he's be free.

Well, I considered it a sign. A sign that part of my recovery should be spent catching up with the characters I watched so many years ago. I've been watching for three years now. Only, there's DVR now. I can watch an entire week in about an hour.

So, that's the story. It's pathetic, I know. But it's hard to walk away from it with all these past characters back on.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Telefone VoIP, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-voip.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

You're male, and admitting you watch Days of our Lives in public??

Jimi5150 said...

First, I said I was a dork. Second, it was a sign from above. Third, none of the other neanderthals read this blog.

Mute Dog said...

Just because no one you know reads your blog doesn't mean you should let google index such information about you ;)

Jimi5150 said...

I'll have to post about how macho I am at some point to offset this.