Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Eruption! I don't have to wait long!

I've admitted to being a Rock 'n Roller, and a bit of a metal head. I have a love for the 80's hard rock bands and have seen quite a few over the years. One of my perennial favorites is Van Halen. Not only does Van Halen virtually define 80's hard rock, Eddie was instrumental (get it?) in shaping it's sound with his unique sound and guitar technique. He didn't invent finger tapping, but he did pave the way for it's popularity.

When David Lee Roth split from the group, I was a little shocked . . . and sad. What would happen to the group I loved so?

Sammy Hagar Walks In (get it?).

It was perfect. First, he was another guitar player. Second, he wrote some pretty good songs on his own. It really brought Van Halen to a new level. As much as I liked the old Van Halen and Roth, the new Van Halen rocked. Sammy was every bit as good a front man as David was. Vocally, probably a bit better.

Anyone who has followed the group knows Eddie is kind of a nut case. Temperamental, over bearing, controlling . . . and worse when he's sober. He was a mess. It came as no surprise that Sammy eventually left. Eddie also had other problems. Tongue cancer and arthritis. He's had surgery to cut out a portion of his tongue and surgery to replace a hip. Guitar god, perhaps. But mortal none the less. It seemed like the end.

There had been talks of a reunion on several occasions. David did come back once before to join Sammy on a short tour and record updated versions of their songs. Again, it was short lived. Eddie, Sammy, and David together on the road? I can only imagine. My understanding is that there's no love loss between David and Sammy. Go figure.

Fast forward to recent times . . . ironic how it turns out David is the most normal of the bunch. He did radio for a while (he's a conservative) and trained to become a paramedic . . . and worked as one going on hundreds of calls. He's a pretty stand up guy, now. Though time and age has tamed Eddie as well.

I believe it was early last year when the news finally broke . . . Van Halen was reuniting with Roth. Then, no. Then, YES! Unfortunately, there would be no Michael Anthony as he got fed up with everyone and formed a new group and was committed to them. In steps in Eddie's son, Wolfgang. All of 15 years old, Wolfie was to take Anthony's place on bass guitar.

What?

I still think it's pretty weird, but all reports indicate he's good. Real good.

I had planned to go to Chicago with my wife to see Van Halen as Milwaukee wasn't on the original tour schedule. I thought it would be a cool over night date. At the time, though, I really wanted to go to Door County with the whole family. Doing both would have been expensive. Plus, I thought if I waited, they'd get around to Milwaukee. I was right. The day the tickets went on sale was the same day Miley Cyrus tickets went on sale. Miley was virtually a waste of time as tickets sold out within minutes. Van Halen, though, I scored big. Very good seats.

Eddie seemed ready to hit the road. Seemed to have his "act together", so to speak. Nope. News came of a few dates being postponed due to medical reasons. As I post this, no one knows why, yet. Soon after more dates were cancelled. Including Milwaukee.

Crap.

News today has it that Van Halen will perform at the end of April . . . instead of April 7th. So, not bad. Not bad at all. It will be interesting to see if the Bradley Center sold out. Other places have. Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to this. Seeing Van Halen again is not just about Eddie or Dave. It's a testament about the music of the time. I highly doubt we'll see a Britney Spears come back tour in 30 years.

Rock on.

No comments: