Friday, February 01, 2008

Superbowl

The Packers by 10.

OK. I admit it. I'm in denial over the Packers not being in the Superbowl. There's very reason to believe the Packers are a better team than the Giants. Except in one area . . . coaching. McCarthy has all but admitted he stayed with a game plan that got the team to the playoffs . . . and didn't change a thing. I believe this was their greatest downfall. The offensive coordinator simply didn't have the experience to change up blocking schemes to make the run work. The defensive coordinator didn't have the experience to change up the coverage. Hence, we lost. It's that simple. Yes, I think the cold had a bit to do with Favre's performance. But, again, this should have been recognized by the coaches and adjustments been made.

Don't get me wrong, the Giants played a great game. In fact, Eli was deadly accurate. In spite of some of the pressure he was getting. But they were really better coached.

This doesn't mean I don't give them a chance in the Superbowl. I do. I also hope they do win. Nothing would make me happier than to see Brady and Belicheat lose the game and ruin their perfect season. It's an underdog thing.

But, the Patriots beat them scoring 38 points. If the Giants hope to win they'll have to match the Pats touchdown for touchdown and hope the breaks come their way. The Giants scored 35 in that game so it can be done. Protection for Eli will be priority one. I also think it'd be a good idea to have a running game. I forget what game it was, but the older Pats on defense were getting pretty worn out by the end of a game that had a lot of running in it. If the Giants could get the run game working to a point of pounding the Pats in the 4th, I give them a good chance. But, can they? The Giant's running game is nothing special. They'd really have to come with a new scheme, ready to play, and fired up as all heck.

I do see it close. I think the Giants will beat the spread which is at 12. In fact, I'm going out on a limb and predicting the Giants will win the Superbowl 38 to 35. Same score the Pats beat them in their last showing. I think Eli will have a great game along with Buress, and I think the defense will get pressure on Brady. The X factor is Brady's ankle and I think the Giants will put it to the test.

But, I could be wrong. If the Pats do go on to win it will be an incredible feat for which they should be congratulated.

No comments: