Monday, February 11, 2008

Grammys Part Two

As a musician myself, I can respect those who have musical talent and who can perform. I didn't expect to like the Grammys but I did as most of the performances were pretty good. There are those, however, who don't share my opinion. Go here.

Yikes. Some scathing comments. But, I have to agree with a few points that were made . . . though made somewhat crudely. First, most of today's music does suck. There's no real substance to it. Jay Weber once commented that music today is made up of "sluts, thugs, and idiots". I don't disagree. I do think, however, that thanks to the internet we have a more inside view of the lives of these people than many of us did when we were young. Er, younger. We know many performers did their fair share of drugs and had their fair share of sex. We just didn't see it. We weren't exposed to it on a regular basis. So, I try not to be too hypocritical when passing judgement. Yes, I think it's a shame we reward Amy Crackhouse with a grammy, reward an egomaniac like Kanye, and pass rap off as music. Much of today's music is, indeed, passed off. How is it that the likes of Britney Spears can sell millions of CD's? Other than her ability to dance, she has nothing else. Well, except for being a skank. Yet, that's all the news. All she has to do is go to Starbucks and stop at a gas station and it's headlines on TMZ.

So much for talent.

Second, reward shows are idiotic. It is one big "look at me, I'm better than you" kind of event. Most involved are egomaniacal with Kanye as the poster child. Again though, what's changed? You don't think David Lee Roth has an ego? David Gilmore? Like politics, I think a certain amount of ego is necessary in order to really make it in the business. Well, except for Country. Seems like everyone is nice in Country Music.

What draws me in is the performance. I can appreciate a Kanye performance as long as it's honest. While awards shows may be self-serving, at least with the Grammys, unlike hollyweird award shows, performers put themselves out there with their talent. You may not like them or their music, but you cannot deny their performance and the talent they do have.

Still, I admit that today's crop of performers are more shallow and less talented than ever before. In years past, it was never about the award. It was about the music. For Kanye, it was ALL about the award. For most others it's about the exposure, the fame, the charts and sales, and the rewards that go with it all. In the end, though, who's to blame?

The public. If you own a Britney Spears CD, you're part of the problem. Shame on you.

No comments: