Saturday, October 13, 2007

Children . . . evil?

I've read on a few blogs recently, peoples various encounters with children. The bloggers are generally witty with their stories, but the responses they receive are nothing short of shocking to me. That, or people really don't know how to be funny.

For the longest time, I didn't want children. Before I married I made it a real point to let my wife know that. Well, she wanted kids. So, we agreed we would wait and possibly have one.

It wasn't that I didn't like kids. I did. A lot. I was that "kid magnet guy". Always playing with the kids as an adult and having fun. I just knew that a child would put a real cramp in the time I wanted for myself, and for my wife, Jackie. I was selfish. Plain and simple. But, as each of our friends had a child, the defenses wore down. The final brick was the birth of my neice. I became very attached to her . . . and her to me. It was time. After being married 17 years, we had a child.

But, the point of this isn't to tell my story. The point is, I've been on both sides as an adult. I know what it's like not wanting to be bothered with kids and conversely, having one of your own. The bottom line . . . kids are not evil. The are not the devil reincarnate. Mostly, they are not to blame.

Kids make noise. They make noise when having fun and they make noise when they're fighting. Some are louder than others, but they all make noise. Kids making noise never bothered me. That's not to say I understand that there's a point at which it needs to be controlled. I don't know that outside in their own backyard is one of those places in need of control, but I know kids making noise isn't everyone's favorite thing. My wife and I have our daughter fairly well trained. From very young on we made it a point to say "inside voices, please" and made sure that she understood the difference between being at home and being out in public. More than that, we were sure to step in when there was fighting. There was no way, if we were within earshot, that fighting would be tolerated. Much less, fighting that resulted in screaming kids.

That's the bottom line. Clearly there are good kids and . . . spirited kids. But kids know only what their allowed to know and what they can get away with. I know people jest. I know it makes for good stories. But the children are not to blame. It's up to the parents to take the time and make the effort. Kids are not evil. If anything at all, they are the epitome of innocence. I find it appaling people would be so thoughtless and callous as to call children evil and make it sound as though they are the bane of our existence, and need, at best, to be tolerated and, at worst, to be silenced. I can't imagine a world without children. They keep me young. They make me smile and laugh. They love unconditionally. They have no bias. They need less maintenance than most adults. They forgive and forget.

And if the worst part of your day is listening to the noise children make, then I am truly envious.

No comments: