Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Reading is fundamental

Maybe more so than people think. I read to my daughter. I have for as long as she's been able to sit in my lap. She loves it. It SOP at bedtime and it's a great way to just have quiet time . . . as well as a good activity when the weather ain't so good.

I've been noticing something, though. Because of my daughter, I know a lot of other little kids. Some are good. Some are . . . spirited. Lately, when I've talked to other parents I ask about reading. It's easy to do with Harry Potter, Judy Moody and other books that are so popular. It's not an unusual topic to bring up. What I've been finding, though, is that the more . . . spirited the child, the less likely the parent is to be reading to them. Now, I'm sure if you Googled this topic you'd find all kinds of information on this so I'm not claiming to be on to anything, nor am I trying to stereotype parents and their kids. This is simply an observation.

It makes sense, though. First, from young on you teach a child to, if nothing else . . . relax! Sit in one place and be quiet for a little while. Don't get me wrong, I love noisy children. The noisier, the better. I know they're having fun. But, there is a time to calm down and relax. Even if not in the house, when you go out, whether it be to eat or another person's house.

Second, it trains them to pay attention. This is important. Be it for your own communication with your child, or an eventual teacher that will want their attention in school.

Third, it builds vocabulary. This clearly shows itself in kids. Those who are read to or like to read have MUCH better vocabularies than those who don't read or aren't being read to.

Fourth, it aids the imagination. We all know this. It's one thing to see it on TV or in a movie. But it's another to read a book.
An imaginative child knows how to have fun . . . no matter what.

Lastly, I think it helps build the bond between you and your child. After all, it's just you and her/him. Your time. It shouldn't necessarily treated as a "treat", but it should be special.

I like to engage my girlie after we read. If we're reading a chapter book, I'll ask her to bring me up to date on what happened since we last read. As if to be the dumb daddy (go ahead, make your jokes). Other times we'll simply discuss a book once we've finished it. As I'm sure it is with other parents, I'm amazed at my girlie's retention. Not surprisingly, she does well in school.

Like other parenting responsibilities, however, this takes time and a commitment from a parent. While I can be put off by a child's behavior, I rarely blame the child. This is something I feel can go a long way in a child's life. So read, read early, and read often.

No comments: