Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Summer time with the child

An interesting dual perspective goes on this time of year. The kids can't wait for school to end and summer vacation to start, and we parents are . . . well, perhaps a tad less enthusiastic about the coming months. Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with my daughter as does my wife. But it now becomes an everyday challenge to keep her occupied. Recalling my youth (insert tired and heard before joke here) I lived in a neighborhood with roughly 14 kids. All living next to me and in a standard neighborhood . . . no alleys. There was simply no issue for my mom, or anyone else's, in terms of finding things for us kids to do. I also had an older brother and sister. Though at a certain age, sis started doing her own thing with her own friends. Jamie is an only child, we live in a neighborhood with an alley, and her closest friend is her older cousin up the block 8 houses. The days can be challenging for Jackie, my wife. But, she handles it well. First is simply her dedication as a mom. She takes the summers off from work (nice to have that ability) to be with Jamie. Second, she's all about routine. Morning routine, afternoon routine . . . Third, Jamie's at an age where she can help out more so chores are coming in to play. Fourth, activities. Jamie is signed up for various things with the Girl Scouts, the library, the Zoo, the Gardens . . . and whatever else. Not too much. Just a day here and there to help pass the time. Five, play dates. I love play dates. Doesn't matter if they're here or there. A couple or a few kids playing together can really pass the day. It's a great way to entertain while getting your own things done.

Anyway, summer's here. Enjoy your time with your kids!

No comments: