Tuesday, June 05, 2007

MTV Movie Awards

There was a time when this show was quite an event . . . for me. I'm sure from their own perspective it still is, but it sure has lost some luster over the years. What did they actually give out . . . 5 awards? In two hours? OK, I'm kidding, but not much. First, they didn't have the usual parady open they normally do. It's been the best part of the show over the years. Not this time. My guess is that it was partially due to the lack of talent available to do the skits in Sarah Silverman, an abrasive, over hyped, and not very funny comediane. Her one plus is that she'll take shots at just about anyone. That night, she took a shot a Paris Hilton. One that got a huge applause from the gallery. It did my heart good. Especially when they cut to Paris (apparently a bit of a surprise show) and she was none too happy about the joke and response. Cry me a river. Anyway, the show was a huge bore-fest for the most part. Even in the area of "babes", there's not much to talk about. What I did find curious, though, was Amy Winehouse's performance. I guess what I like is that she's not a clone of the current crop of pop star skank . . . and she's definately not a babe. What I don't like is that while I can't say I like her music, she's sucks doing it. I'm no fan of Bjork. But when she was on Saturday Night Live a few weeks ago, I found her performance rather compelling. Not so with Amy. Thank technology for DVR's. I could fastforward my way through. Other notables from the evening: did anyone understand what Jack Nicholsen was talking about? The Bruce Willis, Justin Long skit also made no sense. Cameron Diaz thinks way too much of herself. Rhiannon and Posh both need to get the hair out of their eyes. Who thinks this looks good? No Lindsay. No Britney. Has Will Ferrell diminished himself to starring in the world's dumbest movies? Over all, apretty disappointing show.

No comments: