Monday, April 16, 2007

What I'll miss

My girlie turned 7 a couple of months ago. Every birthday of my daughter's, my wife and I will spend time throughout the day telling Jamie just what was going on on the day she was born. It's mostly for us, of course, but my daughter seems to get a kick out of it. It got me wondering when she'll get sick of hearing it. Maybe never. I'd like to think there are certain bonds a child will always have with their parents. Some are obvious. I hope there are many. But, who knows? There are the little nuances that make up a family that again, hopefully, don't get lost over time. I'd like to think that when I'm 80 she'll still love hearing the stories. It will define us.

Well, that got me thinking . . . what else will change? What else will stay the same? What will I miss? This is a little pathetic as my daughter is only 7 years old. But I already miss a few things. Believe it or not, changing a diaper. You couldn't pay me to do it on another child before my daughter was born . . . and you couldn't pay me enough to make we do it now. My own child was different. Never bothered me. Also, I used to sit up and sleep with her when she got sick. We'd both be wrapped in a blanket on the recliner. We still do that, but not all night. It's more comfy in bed.

What else? I've always held her feet when we slept together, still do that now. We enjoy shopping together. School and her friends. She likes it when I'm around. Watching her play. Drying her off after a shower or bath. Brushing her teeth. Buying toys. Dressing her.

I know, there's a lot to look forward to. Things I've yet to experience.

I'll just miss those things as well someday.

Mostly, though, I'll miss her just being a child. Unfettered, unbiased, devoid of influence and pressure. The world revolves around her and everything I do is to either protect her, or to help her protect herself . . . to function without the parents. Everything we do, everyday, prepares her for a world without our help. I'll be proud, but I will miss these days.

2 comments:

Ann said...

My youngest of four is already eight, and I miss those days of what I like to call innocence as well. I gave him a haircut yesterday, and this too was one of those things I will miss. My older son wouldn't let me near him with the trimmers!
Each stage has it's delights, though lately it's hard to see them at times. Enjoy her devotion and attention. Some kids lose that glowing image of their parents sooner, or more completely than others. That can be so painful for me, as a parent, but I'm learning when it's okay to let them go and be who they are without me influencing their every decision. It's a dance, sometimes a tough one to master - the steps are always changing.
You've got the right idea - cherish the "now," and then cherish the next now, and the next one, and the next one.

Jimi5150 said...

Thanks. Yeah, I know . . . I can deal with the "not cool" aspect of being a parent, though I do think of myself as someone who's in the know more than most. But that "glowing image" part. That will be tough. Especially as a dad to a daughter. Oh well, I'll take what I can when I can.