Monday, February 26, 2007

The Academy Awards

Overall, I thought the show was boring. I think this speaks to it's overall length more than anything else. Though there were some things to blame. First, it didn't seem like there was the kind of "anticipation" one had about this crop of movies and the awards it would get. Second, the lack of a lot of big names. Third, while I thought she did fine, Ellen didn't do anything to liven things up. Pretty much to the script. A few thoughts:

• Ellen was funny but, again, to the script. The only skit I thought was bad was the vacuum cleaner skit.

• No big surprises in the winners categories . . . and that was kind of disappointing. Was glad Arkin got the award over Murphy.

• An Inconvenient Truth is not a documentory. What an insult to the other documentarians.

• I was surprised there weren't ANY political statments about the war.

• I was surprised there weren't any jokes about Britany.

• I loved the dancers. This is in complete contrast to past years and enduring Debbie Allen's snorefests. The Snakes on a Plane skit and Ellen's joke about the dancers being naked was funny.

• And this is what happens when one isn't over exposed . . . I thought Celine Dion looked good and sounded good.

• The film montages were all waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

• While not a big Ferrell fan, the skit with him, Jack Black, and John Reilly was the best part of the evening.

• There is really something wrong if you can't deliver even the most basic of acceptance speeches without reading it word by word from a piece of paper. I love Alan Arkin, but his speech ruined it for me.

• Ava Green looked like a witch.

• Gweneth and Nicole both looked horrid. That pasty comb-over hair and pale complextion look they both donned was not very attractive.

• While not a "babe" in my book, Jessica Biel looked great.

• Why was Seifeld given his own stand up routine? It was odd, too. Making jokes about going to the movies . . . at a movie award show. Granted it was about concession and garbage . . . still . . .

• Message to Robert Downey and Philip Hoffman . . . a 25¢ comb and ten seconds in front of a mirror. Geez.

• No one insisted on more time to stoke their egos . . . uh, say a few more words before the music really cut in.

As one who has worked as a producer, director, videographer, gaffer, writer, and editor, I know all too well what goes in to making a movie and who really does the work. That said, I wonder if we really need to see the editing, sound, make up, etc, awards presentations. Many awards are given in a seperate ceremony. The Golden Globes doesn't show these categories and they keep that show to two hours. I wonder if the Oscars would be better served doing the same.

Lastly, while I thought Ellen did OK, I also wonder if, again, like the Golden Globes, they might try going without a host. Is it really needed? An announcer might be enough.

Well, on to the really fun one . . . the MTV Movie Awards!

No comments: