Thursday, January 18, 2007

Higher Callings

I read the reports about Angelina Jolie at the Golden Globes. I never thought much about Angelina. She's not attactive to me, she's not a good actress, and always came off as somewhat weird. Now, I don't mind weird, but hers is a strange weird. I was willing to cut her some slack, though as she very much puts her money where her mouth is. And this doesn't appear to be a "fad", or something just to make herself look good (well . . .). It appears that she is genuine about her work. Fine. Maybe we need more people like her. But, she comes off not only as someone who is better than you, she comes off as waaaaaay better than you. That just repulses me. She always came off as very full of herself. Now, you'd think she was queen of the world.

Coincidently, I read this article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/18/AR2007011801699.html

It made think a bit about people who develop this calling to do things like this. I really don't understand it. I don't really want to, either. To become so overly consumed by the drive to try and make a difference in the world . . . and not just make a difference, but make a difference on a grand scale . . . is puzzling to me. At what point does this ambition become stupid? Take Andrea. Wouldn't common sense tell you that putting yourself in that situation will raise the chances of getting hurt? Or killed? What good are you then? And what possible difference have you made?

I have a 6 year old daughter. Soon to be 7. That's all the inspiration I need to make a difference in this life. As well for my wife and close family. I'm no coward. But I won't walk across a minefield in an attempt to make a name for myself.

No comments: