Monday, December 11, 2006

Global foolishness

I'll admit right up front . . . I'm a skeptic on the issue of global warming. I've read many editorials on the subject, visited many websites, and heard a few reports. On both sides. I don't doubt there is global warming. I just question whether we truly know the cause, how bad it will become, and what to do about it. First, I believe the Earth has a keen ability of self balance. Two, we haven't been here that long. Three, science is often wrong. Two new articles of note have just come out. One deals with the IPCC and it's claims about global warming. The organization has revised it's earlier report to less devastating conclusions. One, that the temperature of the earth won't climg to earlier predictions, and two, the oceans won't rise as much as earlier believed. To me, this is quite a turn around as part of the doom and gloom was that Nevada and Pennsylvania would become ocean front property. One has to ask, why won't they rise as much? Because the polar caps aren't melting? So far articles haven't said. It will be interesting to see the full report next year.

The second bit of news regarding climate is that of farting cows. Turns out, so they say, gas from cows (and other animal life I would assume) produces a significant amount of green house gas in the form opf methane. While I didn't see the movie, I don't think this was covered in Algores An Inconvenient Truth. Well, this goes to my first point . . . we just don't know. Part of the change in the IPCC report is better equipment. Well, what about next year? Some of the other things regarding global warming you don't hear much about are vulcanoes, space dust, and the sun cycles. All which some scientiest play a role.

Don't get me wrong, I think we should do what we can to preserve the environment as it not only affects our quality of life, but our health as well. But in the grand scheme of things, Mother Earth rules and will do more to our survival or demise than we ever will.

2 comments:

Ann said...

One misplaced asteroid, and we're history, hey? I, myself, am trying to use my bicycle more often in the hopes of less pollution and better health for myself. So far, I've thought about my bike a lot. I found the key to the lock. The helmet messes up my hair. Some day I'll get the thing out of the garage.

Jimi5150 said...

Well, if you do, I know you won't get lost with your GPS. I have a t shirt that reads: "I'm in no shape to exercise!". Kinda how I feel at times. Lucky I have Jamie . . . she keeps me going.